Sunday, January 8, 2012

My January Goals

So I know that it's already the 8th (almost 9th) of January, but I've come across this great blog (catelinden.com) and have decided to steal her idea of writing down monthly goals. They can be overwhelmingly huge or utterly trivial, but I want them to be achievable. If there's one thing I've learnt about myself in recent years, it's that I need to reduce times when I might judge myself as a failure. So it's all about setting achievable goals. If, for example, I was to write on here that I plan to put my clothes away or in the laundry each night before I go to bed, you should all reply and tell me that I am being an idiot, and such a goal for a messy (some call it 'creative') person such as myself is simply unachievable. You get the idea.

My totally achievable goals for January

1. Work on my novel every day. Enough said.

2. Go for walks around Horgen. We are still new to this little village, and I haven't explored it enough. I want to discover the little nooks and crannies, the secret little waterfall in the forest I've heard about, find cute little shops here and there.

3. Eat healthily. I know that 'healthy eating' is often in the eye of the beholder, but for me, it means eating 2 fruit and 5 veg every day, eating a wholesome breakfast, and not snacking on junk. Hopefully this will also result in me gaining weight in a healthy manner.

4. Read Hypnobirthing and do a little yoga every second day, depending on how my pelvis holds up.

5. Contact Horgan Seespital and organise to meet with a midwife for a tour of the hospital at some point.

6. Keep track of finances. Pay the medical bills and write up a spreadsheet to keep track of all this. Keep track of how much I'm spending on groceries, and alter it where need be!

7. Unpack the spare room. This is difficult because we have nowhere to PUT stuff yet, until our things from Australia arrive (probably around the end of Feb), but I can make the first move and get it organised.

8. Research baby items and decide what we need to buy, and where and how we will get it. I already know some of this, but not enough. We've talked about a lot of it, but we need to make some concrete decisions.

9. Get properly stuck into my German when my intensive lessons kick in half way through this month. Do my homework, study, write up vocab lists and grammar charts and stick them on the fridge.

10. Use dinner-time twice a week to speak to my lovely husband in German. He's so much more advanced for me, so I shouldn't ask too many questions and let him babble away too - make it good practice for him AND me. Also, try to get the guts to speak German more with our German friends, and don't be so afraid of ridicule.

3 comments:

  1. #8: TummyTub is already waiting for Beanie :) (Why didn't we give it to you guys on New Year's Day? Maybe because of #7? ;))

    #10: Do it, do it! Next time we meet we will only speak German with you :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great monthly goals, Joh. Good luck! Looking forward to reading about your progress. Sorry we didn't get to catch up when you were back in Oz.

    Daniel
    www.danieldelorne.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joh!

    Perhaps we could arrange a little tandem session for the German :) I take lessons with Jo (Cackett) at the moment and am aiming to take a Goethe exam in May. Not sure what your level is but I don't necessarily think we have to be the same for it to work. Plus, it would be lovely to see you again :-)

    Christine

    ReplyDelete