Monday, December 3, 2012

Ich liebe den coiffeur!


So I'm sitting here at the hairdresser, having some me time (thanks, hubby!), and reflecting on why it is that I love the hairdresser so. I never loved it so much in Australia... indeed, it was quite the instigator of anxiety - will it be a good one? Will I walk out proudly displaying my locks, or run into the nearest changerooms / bathrooms and pull out my bobby pins and lacky? Will my hair begin to all stick together and then disintegrate (yes, really happened)? Will I forever avoid walking down this street?

For some reason, going to the hairdresser here is a different experience. I can't exactly pinpoint why... so I've been analysing it. Perhaps because, if it goes wrong, I won't have to spend the next week standing in front of judgemental teenagers who are all commenting on your appearance constantly. If it does go wrong, I just don't seem to care as much. It'll grow back. 

Wait. Am I growing up?

NOT my new hair... but my most drastic haircut ever - I braved it in Sweden in the middle of our big bike trip, where helmet hair had a lot to answer for!



One particularly obvious reason why I love the hairdressing experience here is that it is a chance to practice my German in the most non-threatening way possible. Here is how it goes (with me speaking German. I will translate):
    "Achschönagchächgogch?" (incomprehensible Swiss German)
    "Excuse me? I'm sorry... do you speak high German?"
    "Oh sure. So what are you here for today? What are your wishes?"
    "Well I'd like..." and then I realise my hair vocab is a little failing. "Sorry... do you speak English?"
    "Just a little bit..." My favourite response to this question! That means I can keep bumbling away in my German but they realise I am new and not very confident.
    "Okay, well I speak a only little German too, but I will keep trying."

Conversation ensues. And we all know what the hairdresser chit-chat involves: Pretty much chapters one through eight of my German book - where you are from, how long you have been here, what brought you here, your family, funny facts and information about Australia, your work, your hobbies, etc. Love it! This lady was particularly great for this, because if she ever asked something I didn't understand, she first said it again slower (which happened perhaps three times) before switching to English (which happened only once).

This time, I wanted something different. My hair tends to behave differently post-pregnancy. It's just not as curly... and hence I have no idea what to do with it. So I decided to try something shorter and a little darker for winter. Nothing drastic, but different. And I got it! And I love it! Even after being caught in sleet, I love it. A good sign for a no-fuss hair-do!

New hair :)

11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I love it. It's very chic and the waves look amazing. :) In all of the time I've lived in Switzerland (now three plus years total) I have NEVER had my haircut here!!! (I know!!!!) It's just so damn expensive I've avoided it. And because my hair is now long, I can go for a long time between haircuts in the US. I'm going to go, though. You've convinced me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, it is mighty mighty expensive... though last time I was visiting Australia I was astonished that it wasn't much different! You really should go though, even if you just pop by for a wash or something ridiculously decadent like that. They give you coffee and chocolate :)

      Delete
  2. i love the new joh style!! even after a sleet fall... that's some good hair power! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ms Strothard, if there is anything that my hair has, it is power.

      Delete
  3. It is super cute! I really love it! My hair changed just from going off birth control when I did (got wavy in some spots when it had always been bone straight). Hormones are so weird!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they! One thing I didn't know about was the amount of hair you lose post-birth. Like... I'm astonished I'm not bald. Apparently you retain all your hair while pregnant and then shed it afterwards. It's either that, or the complete stress of a newborn... :) xxx

      Delete
  4. That looks gorgeous - a good coiffeur is such a joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ms JJMarsh! Yes it certainly is... Nearly three hours of nothing but speaking simple German, reading a book (*cough cough* - yours!), and having my hair played with. Heavenly!

      Delete
  5. Your new cut is lovely Joh! Very swish- literally xoC

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty JohJoh! It looks great. It really is less curly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helena :D Weird... I have so many hair products for super curly hair that have become completely redundant. I'm hoping it will come back at some point! Today, actually, it is curlier than it has been for a while. I like curly hair! x

      Delete