Thursday, December 6, 2012

My Day in Song

If, before the birth of the little bean, someone had asked me which songs I would be singing to him and when, I would have said that I'd be singing him Brahms' Lullaby to go to sleep, and perhaps Rubber Ducky during bath-time.

Revelations? It turns out I don't know the words to Brahms' Lullaby (if there actually are any?), and that it varies way too much in pitch to be able to sing in a volume just over a whisper. It also turns out that you need to sing all the time. I cannot emphasise this enough. All. The. Time. Now I have songs for particular events that occur during the day, and I discovered recently that I had been subcionsciously singing everything that I do to Ruben. He sits in his high chair, for instance, waiting for his breakfast, and I sing "Mamma's in the kitchen, making you some breakfast, oh how I love you my little beautiful boy" to some random tune that is perhaps something I've heard before, perhaps not.

It has been interesting to me how this has changed over the last six months, though. In the very early days, singing used to keep Ruben awake, so I tended to avoid it in favour of shushing. But now, it calms him and makes him oh so smiley. And so I sing. My all-purpose song used to be Feist's 1, 2, 3, 4, and for Duncan it was always The Girl from Ipanema, but now we have variation.

My day in song:

Morning hello: John Lennon's 'Beautiful Boy'.
Nappy changes: Old MacDonald had a Farm, or that old 20s song 'Five foot two, eyes of blue' (though I change the lyrics where appropriate, making him six foot two and a boy)
Distressed nappy changes: Old MacDonald that morphs into the Australian National Anthem, but buzzed like the bee on the wall.
Clothing changes: Hokey Pokey (yes really)
Nap Time: Options include Twinkle Twinkle (Boring), Silent Night or, my personal favourite, Edelweiss from The Sound of Music.
Dancing: I'd Rather Dance With You, by Kings of Convenience, or Feist's 1, 2, 3, 4.
Public transport of any kind: The Wheels on the Bus
Bath time: Daddy always sings Rubber Ducky
Teeth Brushing time: A silly teeth-brushing song from Play School
After dinner playing on the rug: Always the same songs - Six Little Ducks, Give Me a Home Among the Gum Trees, I'm a Dingly Dangly Scare-crow, Mr Frog.
Bed time: The Long Time Sun, from my yoga class. We used to sing this in pre-natal yoga and I would always secretly shed a tear because it was just so so beautiful. I sang it every day while pregnant, and he definitely responded to it when he was born too.

Plus, as I said, random singing of my actions. I was reading recently that singing is apparently a lot better for language acquisition than just speaking... things like this fascinate me, as I have been doing this for months without knowing any reason. It seems these instincts are driven much deeper than we realise.

Do you sing throughout your day too? Or am I crazy?

3 comments:

  1. what an adorably intimate post, joh! i love knowing that you're singing Edelweiss and Beautiful Boy... this is such a beautiful glimpse into the life of a mother :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joh, I sing EVERY day & almost the WHOLE day. I wake up with a song in my head, even in the middle of the night. A word can trigger a song from the deepest reaches of my brain. I have squillions of songs way in there from my 59 years on this planet. Singing is so good for you & obviously is too for your little bean. Much love xoxo Cate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Singing is not only better for language acquisition, but going further forward, it is great for pre-literacy skills and setting babies on the path to be children who love to and are able to read! This is why every single good library storytime by a trained person has at least a 1:1 song to book ratio (much more for the storytimes for the littler ones)!

    ReplyDelete