Thursday, January 3, 2013

Myths of Motherhood


In relation to my New Year's resolution of trusting myself and my instincts more, I've decided to explore this idea of what I am coining 'Myths of Motherhood'. When I had Ruben, I had so many ideas of what it would be like and what kind of mother I would be, but -- as everybody warns you -- you can never be prepared. These are some ideas that were continuously reinforced during my life pre-Ruben, that I have found to be entirely false. In saying this, perhaps they are wholly true for other mums, but certainly not for me.


Baby out, placenta still in...
Myth #1: You will see your baby for the first time and instantly forget every moment of pain that led you to that point. 
Oh how untrue this is. Firstly, you still have an enormous placenta to give birth to, so you can't just drift away into your little new-born love bubble (in my case, this was another hour-long battle that required a bunch of midwives and their different techniques and tips. The thing that eventually worked for me was blowing up a balloon... weird!), and then there might be a few other medical procedures (stitches, for instance). I won't ever forget my labor, and the prospect of perhaps doing it again someday scares the pants off me. Of course I love Ruben more than I could have ever imagined, but I certainly won't forget what I had to go through for him to get here! I'll try not to remind him of this at every birthday though...


Is something wrong, little boy?
 #2: You will learn to differentiate your baby's cries and respond to them accordingly. 
I think it was probably about six months before it really became clear that Ruben was crying because he was tired / bored / hungry / uncomfortable / in pain / wanting cuddles. Before that, I just had to work my way down the list until something worked. Even now, at seven and a half months, it's not always clear. This doesn't mean I'm a bad mum and haven't bonded enough with my baby in order to effectively read his cues (as some books led me to believe)! I believe that even he had no idea what the problem was, just that there was something not right. And now, I know that cry - the one where he's at a bit of a loss. You aren't a bad mum for not knowing this. This was a very hard lesson for me to learn.


IQ test: Is this baby hungry or tired?
Myth #3: You instinctively know what is best for your baby and what your baby needs. 
Those 'instincts' that people rant on about have a lot to answer for. I remember when he was about six weeks old, I actually put him in the pram (!) and took him out for a walk. I had just fed him (breastfeeding), and he was probably going to go to sleep. He just screamed and screamed the entire time, and I had three older women separately approach me while I was holding back tears, telling me that I needed to feed my baby, that he was hungry. I was so defensive, saying that I had just fed him, and he was just tired. Eventually I took him home, and he ate the biggest bottle he had had to that date. I had no freaking clue. I think these 'instincts' that people talk about aren't instincts at all, but are just experience. Now I know my boy, what he needs, what he wants, and how he responds (most of the time). That's all there is to it.


A previously private photo that I think
really shows me struggling.
This was my 'smile'.  
Myth #4: If you really want to breastfeed, you can. 
This was my belief. This is what was broadcast everywhere. Although I strive so hard to be a non-judgemental person, I was judgemental of those who said they had 'tried', and of this I am so very sorry. But all the DVDs I watched about breastfeeding, all the experts I spoke to, all the websites dedicated to the subject, all the books I read... they all said that if you stick with it, it will happen. So obviously those who gave up just gave up too early and didn't want it bad enough. I wanted to breastfeed like my life depended on it, and I believed, in my own way, that Ruben's life depended on it. It turns out that sometimes the thing you want the most in life just doesn't happen. My beautiful friend Cadi said to me once that when it comes to babies, you can't be totally non-negotiable about anything; that if there is one thing that you really won't budge on, that's the thing that will f*** up. What a wise woman she is (and oh how I miss her). (Edit: I eventually, around a year later, managed to write about our failed breastfeeding journey, if you want to have a read.)


Myth #5: Newborns are the best.
I pick this one! This smiley, fun, learning, loving baby!
I believed that the innocence and extreme vulnerability of newborns (along with the cute froggy-legs and floppiness) would make that phase of babyhood the best. Beep - wrong. This phase is the best! A baby that laughs at you when you wiggle your tongue, a baby that smiles so broadly when you come back from the toilet, as if you have been away a month, a baby that obviously loves your company and just wants to play and cuddle all day long - as I do, a baby that giggles at all other children he sees, a baby that makes the cutest noises during bath-time with his daddy, a baby that learns before your very eyes... this is the best. Though, I did think that when he was six months old too, but now it is better. Maybe it will just get better and better and better!

* * *

I imagine there are many more myths that will spring to mind as soon as I post this... have you come across any? Or do you have any expectations of parenthood that you fear might be thwarted in the future?

11 comments:

  1. Yep, 'Mothers instincts' are such bullshit!! We're all just fumbling our way through, big time! I think another myth is that you will instantly fall in love with your baby as soon as he/she is born and you set eyes on each other. Definitely not the case for me, took a good few weeks to feel that real rush of love and need to protect her...I was in a such a state of total shock for ages. But hardly anyone admits that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ABSOLUTELY. This is very much linked to Myth #1 for me too. I remember when he popped out and somehow ended up on my chest, the cord still attached, and being so totally shocked that there was actually a BABY there - I had forgotten that that was kind of the point to the whole labor process! Dunc and I always laugh about how we know nothing and are just bumbling our way through... seems that all parents are like that, actually. :)

      Delete
    2. hahaha yep!! And it's all about STAMINA!! :P

      Delete
    3. Patience and stamina ;) hahaha. Oh how many times did we repeat those words of wisdom to ourselves... ;P

      Delete
  2. You should talk with Kim about it – about all this «Mama Mafia» stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding #2, see https://plus.google.com/103590744688343980544/posts/MNijzhnifXo ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE this! It's perfect! Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  4. Love this post, Joh - I read it on my phone a few days ago but wanted to reply when I was on my computer, for ease of typing!

    #1. Totally agree. Jeremy's first 10 minutes of life were him being resuscitated, and then when I held him for 30 seconds his face was all puffy and his squished eyes and dark hair made him look like an Asian baby. I don't think I felt anything, and then I didn't get to see him again for another 12 hours.

    #2. ARG, I hate this one!! I have NEVER been able to differentiate between either of my baby's cries - when a mum is like "Oh, that's his 'dirty nappy' cry, not his 'tired' cry" I'm torn between calling bullsh*t and feeling like a terrible mother. I could eventually tell between genuine crying and fake crying, but that's about it - the reason for the genuine cry was anyone's guess!

    #3.Yep, agreed. I learnt everything from experience, not instincts.

    #4. I'm so sorry you believed this one at first - it brings so much guilt and condemnation with it. I desperately wanted to b/f and fortunately was able to, but my milk dried up by 6 months so both my boys had 6 months of formula. It seems crazy important at the time, but by the time they're at kindy/school/uni, no-one is asking "So, was your child bottle or breast-fed?"

    #5. Newborns are small and cute, but they give nothing back. No smiles, no interaction, maybe some solemn eye contact but that's about it. I LOVED it when my boys learnt to crawl and smile and interact. I LOVED it when they started pointing and making adorable babbling sounds. I LOVED it when Jeremy started talking - in other words I pretty much prefer 6 months onwards (Jeremy is nearly 2.5 now) to newborns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for such a thoughtful response! I didn't know that you didn't see Jeremy for so long straight after birth... how scary. Ruben didn't need resuscitation, but was definitely not breathing well for the first 15-20 minutes and needed a lot of oxygen, but we had chosen to leave the cord attached so it wasn't such a drama. Stressful though, of course, and probably contributed to that removed feeling.

      I love that you are loving the stages that happen at 2.5 years! It's so exciting that things just get more and more fun. xxx

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would add the myth of the happy babies shown in all parenting books .
    99% are Photoshop FAKE or after dozen of hours of rehearsing :)

    ReplyDelete