Saturday, December 4, 2010

Our Alpine Retreat

Every morning, I lift my head from the pillow and gaze through the loosely woven beige curtain that separates me from the enormous window at the front of our tiny flat.

"Dunc, is there snow? Are there any mountains?"
"No, nothing interesting," he says, and I can hear the smirk in his voice.

Every morning, I pull back the curtain to reveal what can only be described as a dream-scape.



We are two young(ish) Australians that have come to Switzerland in hopes of... well, of what? Firstly, after travelling through Europe for eight months, six of which were spent self-sufficient with bicycles, panniers and tenting gear (www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/justmarried), we came to Switzerland in hopes of staying still. Here we have found somewhere exceedingly breath-taking in its beauty, and we can recover from our traveller's fatigue. The pre-requisites were German-speaking, snow-ridden and preferably with mountains. Tick! Tick! Tick!

We had always planned to find work at some point, and now is the right time. While Dunc spends his days having telephone interviews for network engineering positions, studying algorithms and brushing up on his programming skills of days gone by, I am living my dream of having the time to write. I have always wanted to be a novelist, and if ever there was a point in my life where the world of creative writing throws its arms wide open and beckons me in, it must be here, in my little Alpine retreat, with nothing but the mountains to distract me. Oh, and the internet. Strangely enough, my first ever Things-To-Do-Before-I-Die list, created when I was twelve years old, had an entry where I vowed to write a novel in a loft (close enough) above a patisserie (close enough) in Paris (close enough). That's enough close enoughs to bring a smile to my face.

The reasons for writing this blog are multiple. Firstly, we left home nine months ago and, as cycle tourists, kept a blog. Now that we are no longer cycling, we no longer have a blog. This seems to leave a few people (you know who you are!) with a little bit of a hole in their daily voyeuristic escapism. And, of course, this must be a preferable alternative to the bulk-email dispatches of late.

I doubt I will ever have such a chance where I am given the freedom to explore my abilities as a writer. And I plan to revel in it. This blog, however, will not contain any of my 'proper' writing - it will be an escape from that, and a general update on the ways of the world in our little 35 square metre home.

8 comments:

  1. confessions from a bathtub... perfect title. and a perfect idea. i can't wait for all the amazing words that will pour out of you from atop the snow-capped mountains. you are so lucky!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have four more square meters than you and one less person. Your mountain views rival my vista across Kings park and the grounds of UWA with snow-capped mountains winning the battle hands down. Your life of 'hedonism' and pine wood seems a world away from the daily grind here in sunny Perth, but I still feel a strange, sometimes unsettling close connection to what's going on in your head at the moment. U must email me your address so I can post you letters and packages. There's are many stories I must tell you. X Reece

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, guys!
    K - glad you liked the title. It is a little ridiculous seeing as I don't have a bathtub at the moment, but a girl can dream, right? And imagination is what it's all about...
    R - You make me smile. It's true about the unsettling connection, huh? I can not speak with you for so long, and yet I know you're always there, and that you get me. I'll send you my addy. Yay for REAL MAIL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read...pondered...the name changed!!
    Must retire to consider this
    Will return
    E

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see you here, E! Thanks for the ponderous comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stumbled upon this blog :)
    Can't wait to read some more about your Switzerland adventures!
    Best,
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Justbean! WOWsers, I think you are the first real stranger to ever pop by! Welcome! That makes me super happy :) It's funny for me to read this first post again... wow how my life has changed since that point in time!
      Thanks for stopping by,
      Johanna

      Delete